Tuesday, September 14, 2010

The Pool of Tears

Sometimes I feel like Alice in Alice in Wonderland when she discovers her body and world around her have changed after falling down the rabbit hole. She becomes unhappy and cries.  Her tears flood the hallway, and after once again shrinking, she gets caught in the sea of salty tears. 

“‘You ought to be ashamed of yourself,’ said Alice, ‘a great girl like
you,’ (she might well say this), ‘to go on crying in this way! Stop this
moment, I tell you!’ But she went on all the same, shedding gallons of
tears, until there was a large pool all round her, about four inches
deep and reaching half down the hall.”

“‘I wish I hadn’t cried so much!’ said Alice, as she swam about, trying
to find her way out. ‘I shall be punished for it now, I suppose, by
being drowned in my own tears! That WILL be a queer thing, to be sure!
However, everything is queer to-day.’”   ~Lewis Carroll

One of the many side effects of Levaquin is, yes, uncontrollable crying.  For weeks, I would not even take phone calls, because I literally could not control the tears.  It is hard to explain, and probably only those who have experienced it can even begin to understand. My family would sometimes resort to laughter, because they did not know any other way to respond.  I did not fault them, because if I had not been crying, I would have been laughing too.  It was ridiculous the amount of tears being shed.  I think I could have filled Alice’s hallway, plus some.   Well, now I no longer have the uncontrolled crying, but I still have frequent tears.  Usually, they are brought on by the intense burning pain.  However, sometimes it is out of pure frustration.  Frustration, that I can’t do everyday things.  Frustration, that my hair is coming out in clumps every time I wash it.  Frustration, that doctors really don’t know how to help those with such an adverse reaction from Levaquin! Frustration of how are we going to get through this??

 I do my best to step back and try to look at it from a different perspective.  There are so many people I know who have gotten through much worse, and have more than survived and have even prevailed.  I am not going to lie to myself.  It is a long road ahead of me.  I wish I could magically snap my fingers and everything will be o.k.  I have even woken some mornings and thought to myself, “I am going to fake ‘well’.  Some people fake being sick, so today, I am going to fake being well”.  It hasn’t worked out too great for me.  Usually, I am quickly reminded that I really am different now.  I will try faking well again tomorrow.

However, I am grateful for the blessing I do have.    I know that one day we will look back on this time, and realize we did survive, and God was right there with us.  I am fortunate to have a loving family and a church that steps in to help when I need them.  We have had meals brought to us, friends holding my hand during infusions, visitors and phone calls giving their support, transportation for my kids, and cards in the mail.  All of this reminds me that I am not going through this alone.   God is sending his support and love through the friends and family we know.   Because of this, I know one day those salty tears, will be tears of joy.

5 comments:

Shannon said...

I'm so sorry. You know that although I don't know the full extent of your suffering, I can relate to a lot of it having been there myself many times. I have found that continual suffering has brought me closer to God cause there are times when nobody else willing to be with me. I found this verse to be comforting and I will share it with you. "Therefore, since Christ suffered for us in the flesh, arm yourselves also with the same mind, for he who has suffered in the flesh has ceased from sin." 1 Peter 4:1
I pray that God will bless you with a day that you won't have to "fake" it. I am not a proponent of faking it, but I also know that people are judgmental. People who have no idea what you are going through will feel the need to tell you how you should feel or act. You do what you need to do, and if that is lying on your face before the Lord in tears all day....do it. He is still in the business of healing. Plead with him round the clock. I will plead with Him on your behalf.

Ann said...

Oh Lori,

Now I'm able to leave you this comment and word of encouragement. Nothing can affect us that has not passed through our Father's hand. He is working in you and through you, I know it's difficult when you are dealing with chronic pain and an invisible illness, so does our Father and He is with you.

You are a true blessing to so many, think of all the eternal treasures your friends who are tending to you and your family are stockpiling ;-)

Praying for you...

Cari Moore said...

Lori:

Your story brings me to tears! I think you need some of that chocolate cake that John is feeding the family for breakfast.
I wish I had some - just hunted in my bags and scarfed down a granola bar, wishing it would turn into cake! That would happen in Wonderland, right? I know John is off on business this week (as am I) and that must make it even more difficult. You are in my prayers --wish there was more that I could do...Your blogs make me appreciate the little things that I do take for granted - you are probably making a difference in a lot of lives right now!

God Bless you and remember that the future holds endless possibilities :)

Unknown said...

Lori,
I was "floxed" w/Cipro in March 2010... I had taken it 2x before... all w/in a period of 6 months before then. I was also given a steroid to "fix" the reaction (which you, I, & all floxies now know worsens the situation). Still... just this last month I have definitely seen some progress. I'd say my legs are 20% better. I've got a long way to go, and so do you, but we will improve. How much is a mystery, but better days are a comin'! From all my research, one should expect worsening symptoms for 3-12 months before a rebound. One day these most horrible symptoms will be just a memory that helps us appreciate how wonderful it is to just not be in pain!
I wish you and your family well, and hope your rebound happens soon.
-Greg
Long Beach, CA

lmccand said...

Thanks for all of the comments, I can't quite figure out how to respond to them individually. I know if you are a "fellow blogger" I can respond to your page. Others, I am not sure how to let them know I have read their comments. Just wanted to let you know, I really appreciate them.