Wednesday, September 15, 2010

One Singular Sensation

I got a gift today in the mail.  I’m trying to decide what to think about it.  I usually LOVE getting those brown boxes with “Amazon” written on the side of it.  Hhhhmmmmm…..I’m not liking this one so much.  You see, there is something in that box I know I need, but am not willing to accept.  I tried to order it myself, several times, but I could not bring myself to hit that “submit order” button.  One night when I was at my worst, my husband “submitted” it for me.  So, now it is here.  I take it out of the box, and shove it to the side.  Not ready yet.  What will others think of it when they see it?  How will I react when they see I have it?  I won’t need it all of the time, it is collapsible, so that I can hide it when it is not in use.    I have a hard time even stating here what it is.  Ready for it, ready for it..…….a cane!  Yes, my dear, sweet husband hit the submit button for a cane!

I have been having an increase in loss of balance, even around the house.  I know it is just a matter of time before I fall.  The last thing I need right now!  I don’t feel I need it all the time, but when the pain is at its worse, and the muscle fatigue makes it feel like I am moving through mud, I know I need its support.  We ordered one that can fold up, so I can have it “on hand” if my weakness suddenly strikes me.  It does this sometimes, like a brick wall, out of nowhere---suddenly my legs are so weak, my knees buckle.  My husband picked it out.  That was quite a dilemma---do I go for a bold “fun” looking one, to state “here it is, get over it”?  Or do I go with one that is black and hopefully will not scream for attention.  He decided to go with the black with a lovely pearl handle.  

I think about the last time I used a cane---high school show choir.   Oh, but there was one other time, my sorority rush week.  We had canes and sang tunes from A Chorus Line.  Why are canes used for show choirs?  I guess maybe the canes with the white gloved “jazz hands” are really cool when you are up there dancing and singing for others.  But, this cane seems quite different.  No “jazz hands”, not so much fun.   Well, maybe if I sing a little tune in my head when I walk with it. I might even buy some white gloves. That could help, I guess.  Won’t you join me?


 One singular sensation
Every little step she takes.
One thrilling combination
Every move that she makes.
One smile and suddenly nobody else will do;
You know you'll never be lonely with you know who…….
____________________________________________
 Have a look around my blog---I have added some pages, and changed the content of others
Thanks for singing along. :-)

3 comments:

Ann said...

So now I'm humming along (Geee, thanks lol) and praying that one day soon the lovely black and pearl handled cane will be collecting dust somewhere in the back of a closet.

bill said...

I went with basic black, but my kids decided this was too plain and added a sprinkling of stickers. It ended up being my constant companion for two and a half months. I hated the thing at first but I have to admit it was the best investment I made throughout my flox haze. It helped keep rebalance my weight to keep pain out of my ankles and knees; it kept me from falling over from lack of balance I don't know how many times; it helped me to stand up when my legs weren't strong enough to do it on their own. It even became my extra long arm-and-hook when I needed to reach something without standing up or moving far. The only time it ever failed me was when my elbows hurt too much to lean on it. I was finally able to put it away (mostly) about three weeks ago, and while I'm glad I don't need it now, I'm certainly glad I gave in and used it when I needed it.

Sallie Belle said...

Lori,
Oh how I love your ablility to find the "fun" (if you will) in all of this. I can see you dancing now! You never know when your strength will come back and then John can get you some gloves. Call me when that happens and we'll do a reprise! I love ya!