Sunday, September 12, 2010

Dad Is Great....Feeds Us Chocolate Cake!

You know you are not feeling well when..... Dad feeds the kids chocolate cake for breakfast, and that seems totally acceptable to you.  One morning, as the kids were gladly inhaling the chocolate cake brought to us by a friend, the Bill Cosby skit popped into my head.  At least, I got a smile from the irony of it all.  Too exhausted and weak to provide anything better, I fell for Bill's rationale----at least it has eggs and milk.  They are healthy, right!?!?


Dad has had to “chip in” on many areas since this lovely “Levaquin” illness has hit my family.  Yes, it has hit my family!  Everyone’s role has changed.  No longer do we have the typical parent/kid roles.  I guess in some ways it has opened our eyes that everyone needs to know how to do everything.  My 15 year-old son has had to make many a meal.  The shock of it came easier to him when I explained this could be a good dating tool for him when he goes off to college.  My daughter did not fall for that logic when teaching her the fundamentals of laundry.  Oh well, can’t win them all.  But, it has been Dad that has been hit with the brunt of it all.  He now has to do grocery shopping, meal prep, yard work, household chores, and chauffer service, all of which I did while he was usually traveling with work.  Not to mention this has all come right in the middle of a job change for him.  Illness makes no discriminations.  It can affect anyone at any inopportune time.


I am unable to do the things listed above thanks to that one dose of Levaquin.  In some cases, I may be able to start them, but unable to finish because my muscles just simply give out.  Even typing this blog, I have to save and go back to finish because my hands fatigue.  Driving is near impossible.  I can drive for very short distances, but that is it.  Soon the pain and fatigue take over, probably not making it the safest for me to drive.  Oh, the things I am learning from this now chronic, invisible illness.  Some of these----Dust is perfectly o.k., it is a protective covering for your furniture.  The dog hair all over the carpet, just adds more color to the room.  Cereal is totally acceptable for dinner.  Weeds in the yard, isn't that how nature intended it?  However, my neighbors may not agree with that logic.  The towels not folded how I would fold them....gritting my teeth...will just have to do. At least my kids are not wearing pink socks, that is a plus.  It is very frustrating to not be able to do the things that I complained so much about doing before.  Oh, to be able to spend my whole day doing mundane housework, would now be a pleasure. 


I am very thankful though, that God has given me such a supportive family that is willing to help out with little complaint.  I can’t say the same for me.  I think my complaining these last few months has been quite high. Sorry hon!   Getting back to Bill Cosby, one thing he certainly did get right----Yes, Dad is Great!!
(Just so you know, I sneaked a bite of that cake too!) :-)

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I am so proud of you for doing this. I want you to know that we are praying for you and your family. Love you and keep up the good work.