Monday, October 11, 2010

Mystery Solved?

I have always loved a good mystery. It has been my favorite type of book to read.  The medical field has also fascinated me, and I often think I would like to be Dr. G on Discovery Health.  When my daughter was first diagnosed with Epilepsy, I felt I had become a regular Nancy Drew trying to find out the mysteries of her illness.   I felt that it was my responsibility as a patient, or in her case as a mother, to be well informed of what was happening and to help the doctor with this process.  I could not just sit back and take the word of every doctor without investigating it for myself.  We have to be our own medical advocates.  I am convinced this is one reason my daughter finally improved.  Her doctors were over medicating her, and not one of the child neurologists in that practice would believe me.  I finally concluded if the doctors were not willing to listen to me, then it was time for them to be fired. Yes, I said fired!  I found another doctor 3 hours away, but it was worth the drive.  When the doctor first walked into the room, he just looked at her and proclaimed, “She is toxic!  She has all of the signs.”  This conclusion was backed up by a simple blood test that the others had refused to do.  He literally saved our daughter’s life.  The life she was losing, because doctors refused to listen to a mother’s instinct. 

I think doctors sometimes forget they work for us, not the other way around.  We have hired them for their expertise to help solve the mystery that is occurring inside of us.  I now have spent hours doing detective work on what is happening to me.  I have been appalled by the number of people I have found who have been affected by Levaquin, or other Fluoroquinolones.  I have been very fortunate that I have found not one, but two, neurologists that agreed that I now have a neuromuscular disorder because of Levaquin.  Many people have not been this fortunate, and doctors have turned them away, not believing that an antibiotic could cause such a thing.  However, if the doctors would just take the time to read the Levaquin information sheet, most of these side effects are listed as being possible.   It is even stated that they may become permanent!  My first neurologist did just this.  He immediately reviewed the information sheet and did research online while I was sitting in his office.  I appreciated his open mindedness.  To make sure he wasn’t missing the mark, he referred me to another neurologist.  This one seemed even more convinced of it.  He had served as a military doctor and even stated he saw more lives in the military “messed up” by Levaquin, than any other drug.  He never prescribes this medicine because of the bad effects he has seen from it.  

I have been poked and prodded by 5 different doctors, been given every blood test there is under the sun, MRIs, nerve conduction tests, EMGs, and full body scans.  All of this was done just to conclude I have no other underlying conditions.  All test came back normal except one blood test indicating I had inflammation in my body (duh, kind of new that) and the nerve conduction/EMG test.  My muscles no longer respond normally and the peroneal nerve in my right leg has been damaged.   The final verdict- I have a “drug-induced neuromuscular disorder”.

Three months later, my doctor doesn’t know when, how fast, or even if I will get fully better.  He can only treat my symptoms, since little is known what to do for such a response from a medication.  I am leery of taking more medications, since that is what got me into this mess. He appreciates this, and is very much including me in treatment discussions.  (You can see the list of my treatment choices on the “Symptoms, Medical Findings, and Medications” page.)  He has offered to start me on Nuvigil, a medication used for MS, since some of my symptoms mimic that disease.  However, because of my reluctance to be on unnecessary medication, and the fact insurance will not cover it for my current diagnosis, I am not going to try it.  It would be an experiment anyway, just to see if it worked.  So, for now, my treatment is time.  This seems to be the plight of most of us experiencing this.  We all help each other and share information on what has worked or not worked for us, since the medical community is at a loss of what to do.    That is the reason for this blog.  I feel it is my way of sharing my experience, my knowledge that I gain from trial and error.

In most cases, if a person has neuromuscular problems because of an adverse reaction, the disorder resolves after the medication has been stopped.  It is unknown why Levaquin symptoms persist in some of its victims.   One theory is that Levaquin, and other Fluoroquinolones, never leave the system.  It is always lingering there, causing the problems to persist because Levaquin crosses the blood-brain barrier.  Other theories believe that it affects us at the cellular level, or even our DNA.  I have seen on the Fluoroquinolone Toxicity groups, that some have gotten better in a few months to a year, while others I have spoken to are still suffering 5 years or more later.   Why does this drug group affect some and not others?  Why does some find healing and others don’t?  Perhaps this is another mystery for all of us victims  to help solve together through sharing our stories.
_____________________________________________________________

Valuable lessons  I have learned dealing with chronic illnesses:

1.  Always make a list of questions you have for your doctor.  In such a short amount of time spent with him, you will more than likely forget something.
2.  Take notes, or have someone go with you to take notes.
3.  Keep track of all information
4.  Have doctors share information.  Make sure all tests are forwarded to all your doctors with a summary note.  This has helped stop duplicate testing.  

With my daughter I started a "Care Book".  In a 3 ring binder, I included the following information, and it goes with me to every appointment.

1.  Contact and insurance information.  This includes a list of all of her doctors.
2. Medication chart.  This includes all meds she had been on, why they were stopped, the dates she took them, and if there were any side effects.  You would be surprised what you forget after many years of different medications.
3.  Labs, Test, and Hospital Stays.  I keep all copies of her test and lab results.  I keep record of all hospital stays and what occurred during them.
4.  Appointment Information.  This is where I keep all questions I have for the doctors, and what is discussed during each appointment.
5.  Correspondence.  This includes all letters to and from doctors and insurance companies.

Having all of this in one concise place has helped tremendously in her care.



5 comments:

bill said...

When I was in the ER last month for pneumonia, I got a doctor furious enough to scream at me that QUINOLONES CANNOT POSSIBLY STILL BE IN YOUR BODY ANYMORE, THEY PASS OUT AFTER so many hours, etc. He also screamed at me for not allowing him to treat me with additional antibiotics. He was a funny little man.

What I've learned is that many doctors have elephantine memories but are unfortunately not the greatest critical thinkers. They will accept uncritically the information on the back of the drug box while ignoring the facts of the patients in front of their face. It does not fit their world-view. Often they forget that the first step in the scientific method is observation, not obesiance to someone else's teachings.

And unfortunately, *no one* knows exactly why quinolones work as antibiotics. To the absolute shame of the pharmacology industry, the mechanism has never been investigated fully. Not only is it not known why it affects some people and not others, but pharmacologists don't actually know what sort of chemical reactions take place within the body as a result of these things. My new doctor (the brilliant one I told you about, with the waiting list) had some rather clever ideas on how the quinolones might cause the damage they do -- it may have to do with a pre-existing but benign condition. If you see her, get her to tell you about her patient who changed her water filter. It's a fascinating story of something terribly non-obvious causing a chain reaction.

I think you're right about it staying in the body for a long time, though. Long-time floxies' tales of "cycling" point to this. As that ER doctor screamed, quinolones are supposed to be water soluble, but my theory is that there is something in floxies' biochemistries that turn the quinolone molecule into something fat-soluble instead, making it easier for absorption into fatty tissues, where it can be released later by any sort of random event. I wish I had the training to investigate it myself!

lmccand said...

Well said Bill! I am still waiting to see that doctor. The waiting list is until Feb. I agree that there is something in common with all of us. I am not sure what that is. At one point, I thought maybe I had another condition, and this was just a catalyst, but I have been checked for just about everything. Maybe there is some cellular link between all of us. Who knows!

I am starting to have those cycles now. For the past 2 weeks, I have been somewhat better, but this week I feel much like I did at the beginning. Symptoms that had gotten better, or even disappeared are back. It is very discouraging.

I have been fortunate that the neurologist I see fully believes this is because of Levaquin. Of course, I have not had to deal with other doctors yet, and I am sure I will eventually be hit with the same doubt. My doctor thinks Fluoroquinolones will eventually be one of those drugs, that years from now the medical community will be saying "What were we thinking?" He says doctors are starting to be aware of its dangers, just not enough right now unfortunately. He also commented that doctors in Emory Johns Creek hospital very rarely prescribes it anymore because they have seen too many bad reactions, and it has lengthened hospital stays. I hope he is right.

Kathy Ollivier said...

Hello Lori,

It was so good to see you in Sunday School this past week. I am sorry that I have not reached out before now. Your suffering is more than I can imagine, but your courage is easy to see. Also, you are such a great writer. You have a new career awaiting you in research and writing!

I admire your faith, which is so honest and real, and I know that God must be so proud of you for sharing your experience in the hopes that comfort will be found for you and others.

My prayers are with you and your family!

Kathy Ollivier

Wendy said...

Hi Lori,

I am really enjoying reading your blog and admire your strength and courage. I posted once before but was not sure if I introduced myself. My name is Wendy and I live in L.A. and I had a toxic reaction to Levaquin back in March (7 mos ago) and am still not fully recovered although I am definitely much better. I had ever test under the sun and was on a medical leave from work for several months. I would be happy to talk to you about my experiences if it would be helpful. My e-mail is LA40590@aol.com. Best wishes to you in your recovery.

lmccand said...

Thanks Wendy, I would like to hear your story. It seems everyone's story is different. I think that is one reason it is so hard for the medical community to know how these medicines are affecting us. Some it affects that CNS, some the Peripheral nervous system, for others it affects the tendons, cartilage and other connective tissues. I have also seen reports it has affected the organ system, such as the heart, kidney, and liver. It also has been known to affect the endocrine system. I don't think there is a system in our body that can go untouched by this group of medications. That is another aspect of the mystery of Fluoroquinolones.