Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Life in the Rabbit Hole

'It was much pleasanter at home,' thought poor Alice, 'when one wasn't always growing larger and smaller, and being ordered about by mice and rabbits. I almost wish I hadn't gone down that rabbit-hole — and yet — and yet — it's rather curious, you know, this sort of life! I do wonder what can have happened to me! When I used to read fairy-tales, I fancied that kind of thing never happened, and now here I am in the middle of one! There ought to be a book written about me, that there ought! And when I grow up, I'll write one.'

When I look back at my life long before entering the Rabbit Hole, I realize I used to have such an active life.  As a therapist, I would have to be at the hospital by 6:45 a.m. to be ready to see my first patient.  I would sometimes run all day, client to client, nonstop with the exception of lunch.  Once my son was born I returned to work part-time, but still my life was hectic with a newborn.  Three years later, the new addition of our daughter added to our crazy filled lives.  I think back to what my days were like then.  I had energy; I kept the house so clean even Bree Van de Kamp would have been green with envy!   I worked part-time, helped raise two kids, attended soccer games, recitals, school parties, exercised, and put dinner on the table.  You get the picture.  I was just like most women with a dual income household and two kids.   I eventually quit my job as an Occupational Therapist, but I could not stay home for long.  I was not a type of person to sit still.   I then worked at our church preschool as an assistant teacher in the pre-K class, and volunteered almost as many hours in the children’s program at our church.   I enjoyed doing things around the house, landscaping our yard, painting the inside of our house.  When my daughter was diagnosed with Epilepsy I even had to include “teacher” as a new job, since she required homeschooling for a year.  Whew!  Just thinking about it makes me tired now. 

Now some days after taking a shower, getting dressed, and blowing my hair dry I am totally fatigued.  I usually throw on whatever is the easiest, a pair of sweats and an old t-shirt.  The house is a mess and beds go unmade.  This is the norm now.  No longer Bree Van de Kamp, now I am more like Oscar in The Odd Couple.   It is embarrassing that a grown woman like me, still with 2 teenage kids at home, appears so lazy and slovenly.  I hate that I don’t have energy to pull myself together.   I no longer have the energy to attend my kids’ activities.  I miss being the one in charge, attending church, even grocery shopping; and I miss EXERCISE!  I love how it made me feel energized after a good workout.  I want to shout to people sometimes,
 
“I am not a lazy person; this is driving me crazy too!  I want to exercise and get stronger, but my body won’t let me!” 

I feel I am still that woman who could not be still, trapped in a body too tired to let her do anything.  I have to find that balance now.   I can do a few things around the house, but not too much.  I am starting to exercise again, but if I push myself too hard, I can’t do anything else.  In this case, pushing is just doing a few simple yoga exercises.  My muscles won’t let me do anything too strenuous.  If I try too many activities, I pay for it the next several days, sometimes unable to get out of bed.   It is very hard to know exactly what that balance is.  Some days I don’t get it right.  

This past Sunday I attended church.  It was good to see people again.  I have been sequestered in my house for 3 months.  However, it is a long distance between our sanctuary and the Sunday School classes.  As I walked that long hallway, my legs became more and more tired.  I felt as if I had run a marathon by the time I got to my destination.  I was trying to also have a conversation at the same time and was getting out of breath.   A far cry from my former self, which I am determined to get back.   I am improving.  I look back to the first few weeks of my reaction, when I was literally writhing in pain on the couch.  I felt I had become permanently fused to those couch cushions.  I had been there so many days.  You know I am kind of getting sick of that couch! Maybe it is time for a new one, hmmm, but I digress.  

 I have done a few shopping trips with my family, I am making dinner now; I am trying to get back into society, and attend my kids’ activities.  But for some reason this week, I am having a relapse of my symptoms.  The all over burning is back, and my arms, which I felt were starting to get some strength, are feeling weaker again.  Yesterday was a day spent in bed because of pain.   I am puzzled why I have made such a decline this week.  Is it too much activity?  Something I ate?  Some Fluoroquinonlone victims report that the symptoms cycle.  They come and go, as if in remission, but then are hit hard with what they thought they had recovered from.   Perhaps that is what is going on. 

I don’t much like this life in the Rabbit Hole; it is a far cry from where I want to be.  I think climbing out of it is going to be much harder than when I fell into it.  Never-the-less it is a climb I will have to endure.  A climb, which unfortunately, is going to require a lot of patience to get to the top of the Rabbit Hole.
_____________________________________________________________

I have added a poll to my blog, please participate.  Thanks!

4 comments:

Beth said...

Thinking about you this morning, Lori. I know it's easy for me to say, but keep on working with this. You'll beat it!

lizardstillgoin45 said...

Hi, thanks for this blog, I have enjoyed it and relate totally. I am 4 yrs into levaquin poisoning and have experienced everything you have almost to a T! I have a teenage son, husband, work full time and have had some improvment with neuro pain, but still deal with chronic pain daily all joints, tendons achilles, shoulder, hips..have had some luck with a japanese plant called ashitaba, powdered to a tea..has helped with overall health, energy and helped cut out a pain pill a day which is huge! anyway, keep on keepin on! I pray yu find better days, better health and laughter. It'a a must! Thanks again! Liz

lmccand said...

Thanks Liz and Beth!

Wendy said...

Hi Lori, I really enjoy reading your blog each week and it really sounds like you are making progress. I think time is the greatest healer and have hope that some day we will both make a full recovery from our Levaquin poisonings. Best wishes and I look forward to reading your next installment!