Monday, March 28, 2011

I Can't Drive 55

Well, it is official.  I can’t drive 55, or at least I can’t unless I have the help of my cruise control.  My reasons for not driving 55 are very much different from Sammy Hagar’s.   My husband has been hounding me, yes HOUNDING ME, to look into getting hand controls for my car.  I am having increased pain and weakness in my right foot.  I keep thinking it will get better, hoping, praying.  However, it has now been almost 9 months of very limited or no driving at all.  The day it really hit me that I needed to give into this request was an early Monday morning.  My husband was out of town, and it was up to me to get my daughter to her school that was 15 miles away.  I got into the car, started the engine, put it into reverse to back out of our garage.  I pressed the gas, nothing, tried again, still nothing.  My muscles just were not going to cooperate.  So I gave it some help by pressing down on my knee with my hand to force pressure on the gas.  Hmmmm, I don’t think this is safe anymore.  I dropped off my son on the way, and FINALLY, I was on the divided highway.  Aaahh, relief for my foot!   I could use the cruise control now.  With the constant pushing of “accel, accel, accel” on the cruise, I finally got the car up to the right cruising speed to finish getting us to our destination of her school.  By the time I got back home, I was in tears from the pain and the frustration.   I called my husband.  “I think it is time for the hand controls”.  Since then I have done little to no driving, and the loss of independence is disheartening.
 
The task of finding out how to go about getting hand controls has not been easy.  We finally found a facility that installs them, but not until I undergo a 4 hour assessment from an occupational therapist.  This therapist is about to go to therapy, a weird change of roles for me.  Early in my profession I too would assess head injured clients to see if they could be deemed safe to be drivers.  Now it is me in that “drivers ed” seat, being assessed for hand controls.  My evaluation is coming up this Friday.

One of the most difficult things has been to find out Georgia laws regarding evaluations and drivers training for such things. Do I need a doctor’s referral?  Will I be required to have a certain amount of hours of training?   We searched everywhere, and could only find laws on PARKING.  So in Georgia, I guess you can drive however you want, but you better be careful where you park when handicapped.  Go figure!  We found plenty of laws for other states, but none for Georgia.  We still are not clear about this. From what we understand, I will need to undergo the evaluation, and then it is determined if I will need further training from that point.  After the evaluation, I will then need a written prescription of what type controls I exactly need.  Then the appointment will be set up with the installers.  I have also called many times to see if a doctor’s prescription is needed with NO returned calls.  I will not be happy Friday, if I get there and they don’t have everything they need to proceed.  This whole process is not very clear cut, and very frustrating. 
 
I am not exactly jumping for joy with the thought of getting hand controls.  I want to fix me, not change the car.  I have said this hundreds of times.  However, for me to become more independent and drive safely once more, I know I need them.  Because without the use of the cruise or the dangerous use of my hand to apply pressure, I just can’t drive 55!
Thanks for reading.

10 comments:

Darcy said...

I personally "FEEL" your frusteration, haven't drove my car since June 27, 2010 for the same reason. My feet are SO numb from the neuropathy ..they NEVER wake UP! The pain & weakness continues to get worse ..and I don't trust my foot's touch to the pedals. I VERY much miss driving ..part of my independence HAS been stolen from me .."Fluoroquinolone Toxicity SUCKS!!!" YES, I think I just YELLED that out LOUD! It NEVER even crossed my mind that I wouldn't be able drive my car. I keep thinking my symptoms will get better, but it's been 9 months since I've been behind the wheel and so far ..it's not looking good :( Please keep us updated on your situation with hand controls. I'm now very curious to know what the laws & procedures are in Michigan, where I live. Pray for less painful & good days, Darcy

Anonymous said...

How much Magnesium and Vitamin B6 and B12 are you taking?

lmccand said...

My B12 levels are normal, so I am not taking any supplements for that. I have tried magnesium twice and both times I felt it increased my muscle fatigue. Magnesium is a muscle relaxer, so I have discontinued its use. My neuro just recommended I try CO Q10, and I will try that this week.

Jay (sorry about the Anonymous last time, I didn't pay attention to the options) said...

Hmm. Interesting. I wonder if your B6 is low, such that when you take Magnesium it lowers your B6 too much (as your body requires B6 to utilize Magnesium, just like it requires Magnesium to utilize Vitamin D supplements).
Magnesium is a muscle relaxer, true. It's also the the mineral that Fluoroquinolnes deplete most which causes muscle pain, tendon damage, and mitochondrial death (which is what the CoQ10 helps repopulate, basically).

You might find this interesting on B12 tests:

"If you have severe symptoms and your doctor is more proactive, he MAY test your Vitamin B 12 Levels. While it seems logical that a Vitamin B12 blood test, also called a Cobalamin Level, would accurately test Vitamin B 12 levels, that assumption is VERY wrong. In fact, this simple blood test, much like the test for your Magnesium Level, is inaccurate much of the time. Especially when your Vitamin B 12 levels are towards the LOW END of normal, a Vitamin B 12 level is completely unreliable."

See more of that here: http://www.easy-immune-health.com/vitamin-b-12-levels.html

Michele said...

Yup! Cruise control is my friend too, but being in southern Ca. makes that really difficult. While everyday pain has subsided driving is still a killer!

Anonymous said...

In North Carolina, it was very easy (compared to Georgia) to get the hand controls. I've used them for several years now, especially the brake. As the PN continues, I find driving becomes more difficult. But, the hand controls kept me driving for at least 4 years longer than anyone expected.
Hang in there!
Kay Bissette

Anonymous said...

You have to take at least 1,000 mg a day and 10,000 units of Vitamin D a day.

Do NOT take calcium.

And take NAC...

Anonymous said...

(1,000 mg of Magnesium)

lmccand said...

I have B6 on my checklist to ask about on my next neuro visit. Maybe there is a correlation. I have been waiting for MONTHS to get in with a local D.O. that has seen another floxie that lives down the road from me. I feel my current GP basically does not know what to do, and is not very proactive. I am hoping I will come up on the wait list soon for this other doctor, and can have all of these levels more thoroughly tested. Thanks for the info.

lmccand said...

Jay, I would recommend that people get there levels checked before randomly taking high levels of supplements, especially D. Your body can not get rid of the excess, and you can overdose on it. You can really get your levels up by taking as little as 1000 IU a day. That is all that it took with me. I had Vitamin D deficiency prior to this. Vitamin D toxicity include weakness, fatigue, headache, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, changes in mental status, increased blood pressure, abnormal heart rate or rhythm, kidney damage, and coma.

Also Magnesium has been found to increase muscle weakness in certain neuromuscular disorders. Again, I am careful before recommending random high doses without knowing a person's medical history, or having these disorders ruled out.