Monday, January 10, 2011

New Year, New You

'I could tell you my adventures — beginning from this morning,' said Alice a little timidly: 'but it's no use going back to yesterday, because I was a different person then.’

A new year has been proclaimed the start of new beginnings.   I am usually one that always jumps on this bandwagon.  I am a big organizer, I love organization, and every year this is usually a New Year’s resolution for me.  I have to get everything back in order, which somehow lost its tidiness the previous year.   This year, in my mind, it is no different; the storage room, the closets, the kitchen.  Ugh! The kitchen!  This has really lost its orderliness.  Having reduced power in my house because of my Levaquin reaction has really taken its toll on my kitchen.  I am so thankful my husband has stepped up and has helped out in this area; unloading the dishwasher, being the sous chef to my executive chef.  However, my kitchen has taken its toll.  Nothing is where it should be.  It is driving me absolutely crazy!  Believing I can do all of the normal undertakings like every year, I decide the kitchen is the first job to be tackled.  I found out quickly my typical resolution is just not going to happen this year.  Usually a thorough organization of my kitchen will take a day.  This year, our small pantry took a day.  Not because it was so terrible, our pantry is rather small, but because my body will no longer do those type of jobs.   Throwing away out-of-date food, getting my spices in alphabetical order (again), and putting everything back in its proper place completely wiped my arms out.  This was just another reminder that my endurance and strength are now quite pathetic.

This leads me to my other typical pledge for the year, getting in shape.  This has an all new meaning for me this year.  I am (or was) a regular exerciser and have been for the past 10 years.  Strength training has always been my favorite choice, but I would do just about anything to get out of aerobic activities.  As some of my close followers may know, I started having a difficult time with exercise a few months after receiving Levaquin in May, 2009.  From that point on, I was getting weaker in my workouts instead of stronger.  My workouts had gone from 1 hour 4 to 5 times a day to barely making it through a 15 min routine.   I was tired all of the time.  I, of course, never knew what the culprit was.  Even my doctor wanted me to be tested for MS.  It wasn’t until my second reaction to Levaquin in July, 2010, that the pieces were put together. My first “mild” reaction had already started causing havoc on my peripheral nerves.  I know now that was the cause of my symptoms- peripheral neuropathy.   The second “severe” reaction in July absolutely did them in.   So, this year I am starting from rock bottom.  I am determined to get my endurance up.  I have started walking on the treadmill.  I am able to walk a meager .3 miles at a big whopping 1.2 miles per hour.  I used to walk my dogs 4 miles a day in about an hour.  At this rate, it would take me 4 hours to do that now.   My legs will not move any faster.  If I attempt to walk faster, my legs feel as if I am walking through concrete and protest in pain.

I took a break from my blog for the holidays.  I had planned on returning to it much sooner than I did.  However, I have had a bad relapse of symptoms.  Problems that had gotten better or even disappeared are back.  I have read from others that this is typical.  Most report that they have a relapse after about 6 months or so.  I am holding true to that description.  It has been exactly 6 months since Levaquin was poured into my veins from that IV.  Oh, how I wish I could time travel back to that day and stop it.  It is amazing how something that took only a few seconds, has now changed my life.  As I peruse my list of symptoms, only 4 have not returned so far.   The myoclonic jerks, heart racing, decreased balance, and insomnia have improved.  In fact, I have gone from unable to sleep more than 2 hours in 24 hour period, to wanting to do nothing but sleep.  I do still occasionally have insomnia if I am in great pain, but nothing compared to the beginning.   The joint popping had completely disappeared, and now every joint pops, grinds, and groans.  I feel it the most after sleeping.  When I get out of bed, I literally feel every vertebra in my back and neck pop as do my ankles, shoulders, elbows, knees and hips.  My hips grind as if the synovial bursae is just no longer there.  The weight fluctuation has stopped, but unfortunately on the high side.  All of this inactivity has taken a toll on my weight, and I am now the heaviest I have been sans pregnancy.  So, you guessed it, another resolution to try to get this weight off the best I can. This will be difficult since I still can’t move very well.   

I am not sure what has caused the back slide.  Is it just the normal course of Fluoroquinolone toxicity?  Is it all the bad eating habits I adopted during the holidays, or simply the lack of routine?  Is it the natural course of peripheral neuropathy?   I am not sure of the answer, but I am determined to try to stick to my goal of a daily short walk on my treadmill.  I have read that activity will increase blood flow to hopefully encourage repair of the nerves.   I also know the loss of these extra 30 pounds will make it easier on my joints.  I am hoping pledging to the world these things; I will comply with these declarations. After all, as the world has professed, a New Year means a New You.  Yeah, right!

Update:  My lactic acid blood test came back normal.  I am not sure what this means for my next course of action.  I also am not sure if this will totally rule out mitochondrial dysfunction.  I am not scheduled to see my neurologist until the first of March.  I have updated my symptoms list, and also added some new links to the other pages.
Thanks for reading!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi, Sorry about your popping. As I said on facebook - mine started again about 6 months out. I am in the process of having my magnesium checked. Also I wonder if less activity started the popping again. We have had lots of hot weather, then cold weather here in Charlotte and my physical activity decreased a lot. I too am going to exercise more and try to lose the extra 15 lbs I have gained since my reaction. Thanks for the time you put in your blog. Karen

Anonymous said...

Lori, I'm praying that the new year will be a new year for both of us. The only popping I'm noticing is in my feet when I first get out of bed. They sound like they might be breaking apart. I am really angry, at myself and at my doctor. I found more RX records last night and discovered that she gave me Levaquin again a year after all my side effects had started. Of course then, I didn't know about Levaquin. And I'm so dizzy today I can hardly move my head. I think I might have forgotten to take my Effexor last night. I hope there will be some way to get off that stuff!! Joyce