Monday, December 6, 2010

My Grown-Up Christmas List

Christmas following the aftermath of Levaquin, it definitely makes for a different holiday experience.  Instead of decking all of our halls, we have minimized our decorating.  We probably would have done even less, but the protests of our kids over ruled.  Our extent of decorating depended on their willingness to help.  My son placed the lights on the shrubs and daughter set up the half-lit reindeer.  After almost 15 years of use, I think the reindeer have seen better days.  We have convinced ourselves that from far away they look o.k.  This may be it for our 3 lighted deer.  After this Christmas, I think it is time they meet the big garbage truck in the sky.  Oh well, one less thing to set up next year.  

Our family as a whole is having a hard time getting into the Christmas Spirit this year.  I think my not having energy to do anything, has drained everyone else’s. We are finding we have to modify some of our traditions.  Christmas shopping has been different, but yet fun.  As I sat on the couch with my laptop and my husband across the room with his, we hit the Black Friday sales online.  In just a few hours, from the comfort of our home, all shopping was done in just a few clicks.  Hey, how come we haven’t always done our shopping this way?  It felt good having it all done so quickly and no crowds.  Now all of those brown Amazon packages are starting to arrive.  That was easy!

My family’s Christmas list is pretty typical of past years, but mine has changed quite a bit.  I now am asking for boring “old people” gifts.  An electric throw to help my sore muscles during this cold weather; knives with large handles so that my weaker hands can grasp them; a bleacher seat to endure sitting while watching my son wrestle and my daughter play basketball; warm shoes since my feet feel like they are in snow all of the time; and the perfect pair of socks.  Who would have thought that socks would be so difficult to find.  I feel like I did when I was a small child and complained about the seam at the toes.  The perfect pair of socks has to be soft, yet warm, not tight around the ankles, and have absolutely no seams.  This is a hard thing to find.  My husband says he has given up, and I am on my own for that one.

A few weeks ago, I was sitting in the car as my husband ran into the store for a few quick items.  I caught myself watching people walk across the parking lot, seemingly effortlessly.   I realized I was jealous.  I wish I could move that quickly.  I wish my walking was that smooth.  How I envy the world without pain, being able to do the things you do, not having to care about the pain you are feeling or the pain you will feel afterwards.   With Peripheral Neuropathy, pain follows you everywhere.  It totally encompasses every thought, it invades every conversation.  It goes to the store, to bed, to dinner, to church, everywhere.  That is what I would want most for Christmas, to be pain free.  But while I am at it, I want the same for others in my family that suffers the same way.  My mom suffers from Parkinson’s Disease and Peripheral Neuropathy; Dad has Peripheral Neuropathy, Myasthenia Gravis, heart disease and Diabetes.  My sister recently had bypass surgery and has many other unknown medical complications.  In a nutshell, my family is a mess and I am convinced would be an interesting scientific study.  Why so much rare diseases or adverse reactions in one family?

My mother recently joined Facebook, and I saw this as a post from her as prayer request to one of my cousins.  It brought me to tears. (I have removed names to protect the innocent)

You know, my first thought is for healing, but most times I think we really know that God doesn't mean for us all to be healed. I think I would ask ...that we keep God uppermost in our hearts and that He would grant us the courage and strength to live with the burdens that are ours. For (T), if I could, I would ask relief from the constant and brutal pain he endures...I would ask for at least some periods of ease from the pain. I would also ask for strength in his legs so that he may have the ability to move about in our home with more ease. And I would ask for me, increased strength to get through the day so that I might be a better helper to (T). And when you pray, please include (LB) and (LM)—(LB) is not yet stable from her heart surgery and (LM) doesn't know what her outcome will be. She, too, is in constant pain and suffers incredible weakness. Oh, and please include (A) in your prayers as he prepares to go to Paris Island on Dec. 20, to begin his basic training for the Marines. We pray strength and courage for him as he begins his career in the military. Oh, and I need to be able to go to bed and sleep at night, my body aches from tiredness and yet my mind fights sleep! WOW, I really let you have it didn't I! I asked much--but I know from Him much is given. Love you, M.

Yep, that pretty much sums it up Mom.  That is my grown up Christmas list!

5 comments:

Sallie Belle said...

Ok, now my tissue box is empty. I just love your family. I am humbled by the many things that you all deal with every day. I know that your parents have done so with a smile for years. Thank you to yours for showing me grace and kindness when maybe they didn't even feel like it. BTW, I too request socks that are "just right". My family knows socks that are warm and do not choke my ankles.

Unknown said...

I bought myself the electric throw already... can't wait! Also, I highly recommend Injinji toe socks... no seams, order 'em a size too big in wool! We should market a "Floxed in a Box" pack of all you need for the holidays! (Sometimes you've just gotta laugh about our condition!)
Take care,
Greg

lmccand said...

I like the "flox in a box" idea! It would probably be a big hit. Thanks for the sock idea, I will take a look.

Karen said...

I so admire your courage and the mindset God has given you. That is what I want for Christmas!!

Wendy said...

Hi Lori,

I just caught up on the last three installments of your blog and am so sorry to hear about the loss of your grandmother. I loved the "Floxed in a box" comment and could really use it myself! Every time I think my arm is getting better, I have a relapse and I continue to have heart palpitations as well. But... the good news is that the very first Levaquin lawsuit WON this week and Johnson & Johnson will be forced to pay 1.8 million to the victim who is a man in his 80's who ruptured both achilles tendons after taking three Levaquin pills. God Bless him and you and your family this holiday season.