Monday, November 1, 2010

I've Gotta Crow!

It is time for me to step out of my comfort zone, or as the famous song from the musical Peter Pan says, “I’ve Gotta Crow!”  It is time for me to spread my wings and fly.  I have pretty much been a recluse in my house since July, not venturing out much on my own.  Some of the reason is that pain still controls my life.  It is better than it was initially, but it is still there none the less.  Anxiousness is another big factor.  What if I get somewhere by myself and the pain starts?  What if it gets so bad, I can’t drive myself back home?  These questions can also make me feel confined.

My first attempt to go shopping on my own was a failure.  I got dressed (which took me ½ the day), got in the car, put the key in the ignition, and then just sat there.  I played out the scenario in my head.  Did I have the energy to walk around the store, pick out clothes, try them on, and then after all of that stand in line to check out?  NO!  I didn’t have any energy left.  I was having too much pain.  Back into the house I went.  

I really needed to listen to my body.  It knew what it was talking about.  That first day it was trying to tell me my attempts were just too much.  My second effort was much more successful.   I went on a much better day for me.  I was even able to find a few clothes to get me out of those sweats I have been living in.  I think my family will be very grateful they will no longer have to see those!  Well, o.k., they probably will still see them, but hopefully not every day!  But more than finding clothes, it was a turning point for me.  It made me realize, I can do things on my own again.  It may not be as easy or effortless like it was before, but I can do it.  

Another milestone was reached this past weekend.  I haven’t done anything socially in a very long time, for all of the same reasons listed above.  My husband and I were invited to a Halloween party on Saturday.  Thank goodness it was not a costume party.  However, the party was a scavenger hunt.  It required 2 hours of being in the car with our “team” to jump out and take pictures of the items on the list.  We then were to meet back at the house for dinner.  Oh no!  Being in the car was one of the worst things for me.  Being in the same position for so long was just hard on my body.  Also, it would require me being out past 8:00 p.m., my new bedtime for the past 4 months.  We debated on what to do.  We really wanted to go, but could I handle it.  We could not go to the scavenger hunt and then just arrive for dinner.  But then, we would miss out on all the fun, all the dinner conversation would be about the scavenger hunt.  I decided to bite the bullet and do the whole thing.  I probably would not make it to church on Sunday, but I wanted to have fun.  I have not had real fun in what seems like forever.  

Before going I was having just about the worst pain I have had all week.  My arms were burning, my legs were cramping, and it even hurt to wear clothes.  Now that would be a problem!  After multiple changes I finally found clothing, socks, and most importantly shoes that were tolerable.  I took an extra dose of medication, but I was still in so much pain.  I kept debating on whether to go, even then.  I was not going to let the pain stop me.   I hadn’t been out in months.  I was just about in tears on the way there, hoping the medication would hurry up and kick in so I would have some relief.   We arrived, and what do you know!  I was feeling somewhat better.  We chose our teams and we were on our way.  I wasn’t the most contributory team member, but I was there.  I even was able to jump out for a few pictures.  O.k. - hobble out was more like it.  We returned for dinner, visited, and then said our good-byes.  I did it!  I made it though the evening.   All the worry of being in the car, sitting at the dinner table for too long, being able to maintain my strength while I was there were legitimate concerns, but I proved I can fight through them.  

I was right about one thing; I couldn’t make it to church the next morning.  My pain came on strong when I got home and I could not sleep.  My son kept me company by staying up and watching a movie with me.  I am sure he did not mind the sacrifice.   I have learned a valuable thing in all of this; I need to set goals for myself and stick to them.  I need to step out of my boundaries and spread my wings, crow a little.  I could possibly find out that I can enjoy myself, despite the pain.

The Rabbit Hole is on Facebook.  You can join “Life in the Rabbit Hole” by clicking the Facebook badge to the right, and the clicking “like”.  Thanks for reading!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am so proud of you Lori. What you did was not an easy thing to do. Taking a little bit of your life back sure feels good! You go girl!!! Best wishes, Sandi

Sallie Belle said...

I am excited for you. I think that I'm learning you have to learn what you can do and then sacrifice other things. I can't do it all, but I can enjoy life. Glad you got to enjoy yours this weekend! Love ya!

Anonymous said...

I don't know where to begin. Everytime I read "Down the Rabbit Hole"..I feel that you're talking about ME!!! Basically, I feel like I'm reading about myself. Truely ..your story "IS" my story. I've been dealing with this poisoning from Levaquin, Cipro & Avelox. All three had been prescribed to me (at different times) atleast a dozen times over a 5 - 6 year period, for sinus infections, last taken was June 2009. I was diagnoised with Peripheral Neuropathy between March -June 2007, but my neurologist had no idea what caused it or why I have it. I was prescribed antibiotics a few more times over the next couple years 2007-2009, for sinus infections. Some days are better then others. My trip to the store the other day(1st one in a longtime)was great!, only because I was feeling 1/2 way ok, but I paid for it the over the next 3 days. Of course I couldn't drive myself, my husband drove me, who sometimes calls himself my taxi driver(when he's joking of course). He ended up helping me shop, as well as being my taxi driver. I hardly ever get out of my house, when I do he drives me and I have to pace myself. I'm in pain all the time..everyday, which is one of my main symptoms. Having chronic pain, not being able to feel my feet, along with many of the other symptoms has extremely changed my life.. turned it UPSIDE DOWN! There are things I'll probally never be able to do again, all tho I keep thinking.. hoping & praying that maybe one day this big bad dream will go away! ..I'll wake up & be myself again. Wish I knew about these BAD antibiotics..I would NEVER have take them!! You give me hope & encouragement everytime I read your blogs in "Down the Rabbit Hole." I just want to let you know, "Keep up the good work!!" Your blogs are telling the story that many of us are living. God Bless & best of wishes to you, Darcy Harmon :) (you can find me in facebook)

lmccand said...

Oh boy Darcy! I can so relate. I drive, but rarely, and it is very short distances when I do. I have only gone on a couple of shopping trips by myself for the same reasons. I too, feel I am in a nightmare, and hope I will wake up soon. Actually that is how this blog came to me. I woke one morning lying in bed, unable to move thinking I felt like Alice falling down the rabbit hole. I spend most of my time at home because of the pain. I feel this blog is my way to feel purposeful, and hopefully in some small way help others. Thanks for your comment.